Monday, October 29, 2012

Scholarship Updates!


Greetings from the Counseling Center,

The other day I asked a senior what I could do to encourage you all to apply for scholarships more aggressively than you have been. The senior shared that she felt overwhelmed and was extremely busy. I appreciated her honesty.

While I understand the enormous workload some of you are managing, I still say apply to as many scholarships as possible. Trust me on this.

As you may have noticed, the November Scholarship bulletin has been posted. Check out the following scholarships and visit www.suhicounseling.com regularly as I input throughout the month.

Scholarship Name: Holiday Bowl Scholarship
Deadline: Postmarked by November 2, 2012
Eligibility: High school seniors from San Diego County who have excelled academically as well as within his/her community
(school and outside). Citizenship and leadership in extracurricular activities are particularly important. Applicant must have a
GPA of 2.5 or better.
Amount: $10,000

Scholarship Name: The 2013 Prudential Spirit of Community Awards
Deadline: November 6, 2012
Eligibility: Student who is actively involved in and has done community service.
Amount: $1,000 or more


Scholarship Name: “Make The U” (Haz La U) Scholarship Program
Application Period: September 1 – December 31st 2012
Eligibility: Hispanic US citizens or permanent residents with a minimum 3.0 GPA planning to enroll in a two or four year college
during 2012-2013 school year.
Amount: Grand prize of $15,000; ten additional grants of $2,500.

I want to applaud Shehara Seapno for writing a powerful scholarship essay! Concise, well-written, and visceral (great word to learn for college).

Please let me know how I can better support you in your pursuit of free money/scholarships! I'm open to your suggestions. 

-Mr. Smith, Scholarship Counselor