Tuesday, February 24, 2015
How to submit an appeal to SDSU and other universitites
What do you do if you are denied admission to SDSU? What if you were COMPACT for SUCCESS eligible but still denied admissions?
You need to submit an appeal. To submit an appeal, carefully read and follow the six steps below:
1. Meet with your school counselor to identify what Compact benchmarks you have not satisfied and come up with a plan to meet all the benchmarks by your high school graduation.
2. Visit the SDSU appeals website at sdsu.edu/appeals<http://sdsu.edu/appeals> and download the Admission Appeal Request Form<http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/pdf/Admissions_Appeal_Request.pdf>.
3. Prepare documentation. In order for your appeal to be complete, you must include an appeal package with the following:
*The Admissions Appeal Request (download PDF, print, and complete form)
*Letter of appeal detailing which of the compact benchmarks you have now satisfied that make you newly eligible for admission (e.g., GPA, English remediation, math remediation). If you have a serious and compelling circumstance that you feel the appeals committee should consider, you will need to provide supporting documentation.
*Official high school transcript
*Proof of completion of compact benchmarks (i.e. ELM/EPT/SAT/ACT scores, EAP results, final high school transcript with spring 2014 grades.
* Incomplete appeals will not be reviewed until remaining documents are submitted and processed.
4. Submit your appeal. Mail the complete appeals package to:
University Admissions Appeals Committee
Office of Admissions
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-7455
5. Allow time for processing. Appeal decisions will be provided in June or July.
6. Receive the decision by mail. Applicants will be notified of appeals decision by mail using the address on file in the SDSU Office of Admissions.
The appeals website states that applicants have over 30 days from the "deny" notification to submit an appeal. Other schools will have a similar process but different deadlines. Please note that SDSU will continue to accept and review appeals from Compact students after this date. Complete appeals must be submitted on our before the date of the applicant's high school graduation. An example of an appeals letter can be seen here.
Questions? See you counselor!