Do you know what happens to our bodies when we laugh?
· Levels of stress hormones decrease
· Heart, lungs, and muscles are stimulated
· Increased activity in the brain’s reward system
· Endorphins – the body’s natural pain blockers- are released
10 TIPS FOR INCORPORATING HUMOR INTO YOUR LIFE
· List three funny things that happened to you each day
· Find a TV show or movie that tickles your funny bone.
· Reach out to someone who gets your sense of humor. Share the funny things that have happened to you recently or reminisce
· Have a game night. Charades is a classic, and there are also plenty of newer card and board games that are designed with humor in mind.
· Spend time with an animal or a child. Their antics are almost always good for a laugh.
May is Mental Health Month and Mental Health America is using the theme #4Mind4Body this month to explore the topics of animal companionship (including pets and support animals), spirituality, humor, work-life balance, and recreation and social connections as ways to boost mental health and general wellness.
You can download the tool kit here:
Quiet time: Balance your family, social, and work demands with quiet alone time. Activities such as listening to relaxing music, taking a bubble bath, taking a quiet walk, writing down your thoughts and feelings in a journal, doing a hobby, or watching a favorite television program or movie are great ways to unwind.
Tell a joke. Here are some fun ones: http://redtri.com/best-jokes-for-kids/slide/1
I am so proud to see/hear . . .
Our relaxation room in the counseling center is housed in office #141. Many students have been using this space during the school day as a calming place in the hustle and bustle of student life.
Please continue to encourage students to experience the Wellness Wednesday Relaxation Lounge in the Counseling Center at lunch on Wednesdays. It’s the perfect spot to de-stress and decompress. Nurse Wegener also has a relaxation space for students who need.
Thanks to our SUHi Morale Pals who are spreading kindness on campus. We have a few more weeks to share the kindness!