Counselor/Parent Chats Q & A September 6, 2023
We have an 11th grader. Looking for any resources to help situate her into a 4-year university next year. When do we apply, student services etc. How and when we apply for grants etc. How soon do we apply for scholarships etc.
· All Juniors receive a Counselor Led Post Secondary presentation in the Fall of their Junior Year. Students can also schedule an appointment with their counselor. Our Counseling Center Website has a lot of information as well. Students also have a Google Classroom for their grade level where we upload resources including our in person presentations. Timeline and important info regarding college can also be found on our “So You Want To Go To College” flyer
We have a10th grader in the mod / severe dept. What resources are available to her as she progresses through high school.
· All students in the mod/severe program or who get special services have an IEP and students can work closely with their case carrier, school psychologist, and counselor. Students in the mod/severe program would also have transition plans in their IEP.
How can I have access to Jupiter grades?
· Tech Support is available in the parent center on Tues/Thursday 8:30-10:30. Parents can also email their students counselors for Jupiter Access.
Are there any dates for university campus visits?
· The counseling center is not currently hosting any dates for university campus visits. Students in the AVID program may have some campus visits through their program. If the counseling center becomes aware of any opportunities, we would post it on our counseling center website.
If there are any visits is there a preference for seniors?
· No, all field trips offered are typically first come first served.
What are the upcoming College University and FASFA Deadlines for 12th graders?
· Counselors are currently reviewing post-secondary plans with seniors during their individual credit check meeting. Important dates and deadlines can be found on our “So You Want To Go To College” flyer. Seniors can access their grade level presentation on their Google Classroom. The Deadline for CSU/UC’s is November 30th. FASFA Deadline for priority is March 2nd.
My freshman is currently struggling in 3 classes with substitutes – who can we contact?
· Please reach out to your students Counselor and administration if you are struggling to get in contact with any substitute teachers.
When does my 11th grader need to start volunteer hours?
· Start as soon as possible – as early as 9th grade. Although we only require 30 hours, more hours is recommended for university admissions and scholarship consideration. We recommended students volunteer in something that they are interested in. The Class of 2024 needs to complete 15 service hours. Currently 30 service hours is required for the class of 2025 and beyond. More information and the community service form can be found on our website under the community service tab.
Which teacher does my student turn in their hours to and what places are approved by the school?
· Community Service Forms need to be turned into History/Social Science teachers. Students need to submit hours ideally that school year. For information on pre-approved places please visit our website under the community service tab.
Can my junior student start applying for grants?
· 11th graders cannot apply for grants but they can apply for scholarships. Scholarship information can be found under the scholarship tab on our website
My student did not get any information about Credit recovery
· Students who signed up should have gotten an email but if they did not the student can follow up with their counselor. Yesterday was the first day of credit recovery. Unfortunately, some class times were changed from afternoon to morning. Students can still report on Thursday. In the Morning, students should enter the main building through the north side of the building. Credit Recovery is Tues/Thurs and on the occasional Saturday. We understand some of the communication has been choppy. Credit Recovery will end on December 1st. For seniors taking credit recovery for A-G purposes, students will list any classes they are repeating when they apply.
What grades do students need to get a work permit?
· The school recommends a 2.0 but technically there are no GPA requirements. Permit applications can be found in the admin office.
Does the school give any support in regard to sexual harassment/assault?
· For any support on this topic please make an appointment with your students’ counselor so that they can discuss different resources and make appropriate referrals as needed.