The Brad Fowler Memorial Scholarship offers a $5,000 scholarship to at least five high school seniors in San Diego County. A second scholarship of $5,000 can also be earned, provided the recipient remains in good academic standing following the first year of college, for a total possible scholarship award of $10,000. Additionally, scholarship recipients will receive a laptop computer from Computers to Kids San Diego.
The nominee must have demonstrated an ability to overcome personal obstacles associated with drugs or alcohol, a strong commitment to athletics and a desire to continue personal growth and development through higher education. There is no minimum GPA requirement, but academic growth will be considered.
The following is a description of the scholarship, nomination criteria and submission process.
- One-year scholarship for $5,000 for the school year September 2021 - June 2022
- Scholarship recipients who remain in academic standing following their first year of college will earn an additional $5,000 scholarship for their second year of college
- Eligible expenses include college tuition, books and on-campus housing
- Recipients will be required to keep in periodic communication with the SDSA, to report on their progress
- High school senior who will enroll in either a two- or four-year college
- Has overcome personal obstacles and troubles in life associated with drugs or alcohol
- Demonstrated athletic achievement and participation in organized sports
- Demonstrated leadership ability and demonstrated personal responsibility
- Demonstrated academic growth
- Demonstrated financial need
- Has a strong commitment to setting and reaching life goals
- All submissions must include: the completed application form, a copy of the student’s high school transcript and at least one letter of recommendation from a teacher, coach or counselor. The letter of recommendation should attest to why the nominee’s behavior, attitude, desire and character warrant this scholarship.
- All nominations should be submitted by a coach, teacher, counselor or administrator.
- Please submit application packets to:
San Diego Sports Association
Attn: Loni Lewis
1041 Market Street #314
San Diego, CA 92101
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 26, 2021 (All documents must be postmarked on or before that date).
Selection of the qualified recipients will be made in March 2021 and the winners will be notified in April 2021. Recipients will be required to attend a local presentation ceremony AND/OR an on-camera interview session to deliver brief acceptance remarks and share their story. For further information, please visit sandiegosportsassociation.com.